Author Topic: Plugin idea: merge/modulate one midi stream/clip into another  (Read 75 times)

Amberwolf

• View Profile
Plugin idea: merge/modulate one midi stream/clip into another
« on: September 08, 2024, 05:09:50 PM »
Originally posted over here:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/topic/529-new-midifx-available/?do=findComment&comment=563809
and copied here for posterity / discussion.

Here's a plugin request that woudl save me days or even weeks of work in a lot of projects.  (maybe something like this already exists, but I don't know about it)

A "merge" plugin that the user can point to a midi file (or a clip on a track if that's easier) that then takes the notes played in a track that are used to play an arp in a synth (that this same MIDI file was the arp pattern for), and generates the MIDI output that the synth would have "seen" internally.

Meaning, if a track just has long whole or quarter notes (etc) of whatever note values (single or chords, etc), then the plugin would play the arp pattern notes loaded into it in those values.  So I could put the plugin into the clip FX bin, apply MIDI FX on the clip (or track fx bin and apply to track, etc, though I don't usually do it that way because I want some notes unarped).

This is because I want to use, for instance, the Z3TA arp to play it from in the initial inspiration and clip recording stage, but when editing I need access to the individual arped notes to change the note played, or their length, or even position, or even leave some out entirely.    Can't do that until I have the arp pattern as clips on the track...but to do that I have to stick the arp pattern on the track, then I have to manually change the pitch of each note in the pattern to match the notes I played, which is very tedious and has few shortcuts available, and takes a long time. 

Does this sound like anything you've already seen in a plugin, or something you'd be interested in making? 

If my description is insufficient I can try to come up with a better one.

By it's I/O nature, it would also be an arp plugin, and so it could have the other types of controls such a plugin has, perhaps also including an editing screen for the pattern (but I'd be happy enough to do that part in a SONAR track like I already do, then export to a file I can then load in, as I already do).

(Yes, SONAR 8.5.3 has a per-track arp I can load MIDI files into, but it doesn't (properly, or at all, don't recall which) obey the velocities on the arp patterns loaded, and only uses the static velocity set in it (dunno if that was intended or a bug, but it makes it unable to do what I need).  )